Week 12

While watching the movie, I was thinking "is there going to be a bigger message to this?" At first I was surprised there wasn't, but after a few days of processing, I've finally come to terms on what the film was really about. Movies often have the high expectation of having a deep meaning all the time, and I'll admit that's how my mindset was throughout watching this. But you can still have a good plot with a not so deep plot. Maybe the title of the film threw me off a little, I don't know. But it's just about how everyone seems to be connected and that we really do live in a small world. Each character was involved in at least two storylines. I think it's so accurate because I find my worlds colliding SO often. It's honestly crazy because there's so many people in the world, yet the people I know from completely separate places somehow end up interacting with each other. This film definitely took a realistic approach, and the added comedy made it that much more enjoyable. 
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005) | The Criterion Collection
Me and You and Everyone We know surprised me! The title gives off a cheesy romcom vibe, so initially I wasn't looking forward to it. And with Miranda July's character's awkwardness, I thought it'd be cringey as well. But it turned out being a funny series of different stories that all tied together. I was a little confused for a while as to how each storyline was related, which kept me engaged in the story to see the connection. It was definitely a unique plot, but it somehow tied together in the end. 

Me-and-you-and-everyone-we-know GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
I particularly liked how it covered a bunch of different topics: divorce, struggling single father, teenage exploration, a kid's curiosity, an awkward new romance, possible pedophilia... the list goes on. Miranda July definitely covered all the bases, and what makes this movie especially unique is how she tied all these topics together. With the wide variety of topics also came a wide variety of characters. There was the curious little kid, the curious teens, the quiet teen, the awkward young adult, the recently divorced dad, the creepy neighbor, etc. It's clear July took her time with writing this film because these two characteristics tie together nicely. And I have to add, Robbie is my favorite. Call me immature, but his poop take cracked me up. 





Comments

  1. I'm grateful for your thoughtful reflection, Reyna. The poop cracked (PUN) me up, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts