Week 2

I think it's interesting how such an influential thing -- film -- was established in such a way. I always thought of film as something that an average person would discover. Instead, several people took part in this without even realize it! Turns out there was a lot of layers -- experimenting -- to developing cinema. 

It would be safe to say cinema was a work in progress the same time technology was emerging. My favorite thing about the discovery of cinema was that it was basically one giant science experiment. Actual scientists were exploring the discovery along with people who were interested in making films. 


I also want to note that I always thought that the first films were in the 1910s/1920s, but that is clearly not the case. There is quite a few films out there dating into the late 19th century, which changes my perspective on the history of film. I had always pictured Charlie Chaplin as one of the first creations in cinema. 

Now, regarding the Golden Age of Hollywood, I gotta say it's grown on me over the years. Obviously as a kid, black and white films were something that sounded boring (but of course there's technology to fix that problem). I also wasn't a fan of how a lot of films were long, and my silly little 10 year old self did not necessarily have the patience for that. However now, I've come to appreciate older films now. A lot of them being Christmas movies! It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and Possessed being some that I were intrigued by. 

I gotta say, I feel like films today are repetitive. Of course, there are only so many ideas out there, but you have to admit there is a lot of recycling going on these days. Films back in the Golden Age are simply classics and hard to forget!


Comments

Popular Posts